Gender diverse young people face many challenges in health care. There is a severe shortage of available services. GPs can help by providing respectful and affirming care, especially holistic care addressing all of their physical and mental wellbeing.
- Make sure to use their preferred name (and change to this name in practice software) and their preferred pronouns (i.e. he/him for a trans male). If in doubt, ask the patient what they prefer.
- Psychological support is essential.
- Not everybody wants hormonal treatment, but for those that do there are still access issues unfortunately.
- Changing a birth certificate is also a difficult process.
- Refer to a paediatrician initially (children / adolescents).
You can read more about the management guidelines here.